Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Keyword Planner The Basics

The Keyword Planner, the Basics

The Google Adwords Keyword Planner combines the Keyword Tool and the Traffic Estimator. It also has some significant changes from the keyword tool that you are used to using. If you understand the changes you will be able to work with the tool better, and it may be more enjoyable as well.

When I got my hands on the tool for the first time, I saw the new interface, then I screamed and went back to the old interface! I couldn’t even bring myself to try to figure it out. I was shocked and dismayed, the buttons for selecting exact, broad, and phrase searches were gone, the filters I used all of the time for selecting the range of traffic that I had an interest in had been reduced beyond anything that I could considered useful.

I was not impressed, to say the least. But, I knew that I had to learn what this was all about. I realized that Google was giving me a little time for a test drive. So, I started with their information pages.

I Wondered Why Google Changed the Keyword Tool?

Of course, all of the reasoning behind the changes have not been communicated by Google, but what they have communicated very well is that the new format is designed to be a workshop for building new search network campaigns.

It was specifically designed to search for keywords and ad group ideas, then to let users see how those campaigns might perform before actually committing to the campaigns. Realize that the target audience for this tool is their Adwords customers. It is supposed to streamline the keyword selection and putting discovered keywords and adgroup ideas into new campaigns. Keyword planner does do this, and can shorten the work and time required to get keywords and insert them into Adwords campaigns.

However, it wasn’t necessarily designed for those of us using the Keyword Tool to discover keywords to use for content or other advertising outside of Adwords. The changes in Keyword Planner may not benefit us as much as the group that is using Adwords campaigns. That doesn’t mean that the new Keyword Planner won’t work for the group outside of Google Adwords, but it is important to understand that the changes were made for their specific insider group.


Learn how to use the Keyword Planner for Keyword Research


Download the Keyword Planner Checklist


Related Posts


20 Minute Sales letters and other Reports


Keyword Opportunity


Google Tool Dissappears


Perfect PLR


Most Important Lesson



The Keyword Planner The Basics

No comments:

Post a Comment